Dr Jon Tandy
Jon's current research primarily focuses on high speed imaging and emission spectroscopy of light flashes seen during hypervelocity (> 3 km/s) impacts replicating meteoroids impacting planetary surfaces, allowing an examination of the highly energetic and dynamic chemical reactions. He is also working to develop a new cryogenic source to replicate the icy mixtures found on the surfaces of outer Solar System bodies (e.g. Pluto).
Jon currently teaches Physical Chemistry across several courses within the School of Human Sciences. He is a specialist in atomic and molecular spectroscopy and has a particular interest in developing creative teaching and learning. Jon supervises undergraduate research projects in atomic emission spectroscopy, chemical extraction from lunar and martian soil simulants, extraction and analysis of leachables from pharmaceutical packing, and computational modelling of small molecules of interest within astrochemistry.
- D. Tandy, M. Price, P. Wozniakiewicz, M. Cole, R. Hibbert and C. Avdellidou, Observations of impacted, frozen Lunar and Martian regolith simulants. In: EPSC-DPS Joint Meeting 2019, 15-20 September 2019, Geneva, Switzerland, 13 (2019) EPSC-DPS2019-1897-2.
- Sadoon, G. Sarma, E. Cunningham, J.D. Tandy, M. Hanson-Heine, N. Besley, S. Yang, A.M. Ellis, Infrared spectroscopy of NaCl(CH3)n complexes in helium nanodroplets, J. Phys. Chem. A, 120 (2016) 8085-8092.
- D. Tandy, C. Feng, A. Boatwright, G. Sarma, A.M. Sadoon, A.Shirley, N. Das Neves Rodrigues, E.M. Cunningham, S. Yang, A.M. Ellis, Infrared spectroscopy of salt-water complexes, J. Chem. Phys., 144 (2016) 121103.
- M. Mihaly, J.D. Tandy, A.J. Rosakis, M.A. Adams, Pressure-dependent, IR-emitting clouds in hypervelocity impacts, J. Appl. Mech., 82 (2015) 011004.
- D. Tandy, J.M. Mihaly, M.A. Adams, A.J. Rosakis, Examining the temporal evolution of hypervelocity impact phenomena via high speed imaging and UV-visible emission spectroscopy, J. Appl. Phys., 116 (2014) 034901.
- Shepperson, J.D. Tandy, A. Boatwright, C. Feng, D. Spence, A. Shirley, S. Yang, A.M. Ellis, Electronic spectroscopy of toluene in helium nanodroplets: Evidence for a long-lived excited state, J. Phys. Chem. A, 117 (2013) 13591-13595.
- M. Mihaly, J.D. Tandy, M.A. Adams, A.J. Rosakis, In situ diagnostics for a small-bore hypervelocity impact facility, Int. J. Imp. Eng., 62 (2013) 13-26.
- M. Mihaly, A.J. Rosakis, M.A. Adams, J.D. Tandy, Impact ejecta and debris cloud behavior using laser-side-lighting, Procedia Engineering, 58 (2013) 363-368.
Dr Jon Tandy
Natural Sciences BSc (Hons) Course Leader
Senior Lecturer in Physical Chemistry
+44 (0)20 7133 4195
T12-02, Tower Building